Ronnie James Dio Forum
Hello!

Welcome to the Ronnie James Dio Forum!

If you are new, you can register here, if you are a member, you can login!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Ronnie James Dio Forum
Hello!

Welcome to the Ronnie James Dio Forum!

If you are new, you can register here, if you are a member, you can login!
Ronnie James Dio Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most preferred axeman?

+2
0gr0
Diolover91
6 posters

Go down

Most preferred axeman? Empty Most preferred axeman?

Post  Diolover91 April 5th 2010, 10:56

Let's start a heavy one.

I think most of us love Viv's time with Dio but in my eyes he's serious mellow-out (and not in a cool way) puts him behind Craig Goldy.

Craig does the in the band-out of it fling a bit too much but he's a master performer (and he did Magica, you gotta love him for it:) ), and as a bonus, he has a cool hairstyle.

Doug Aldrich is an infinitely cool master axeman (and serious Randy Rhodes look-alike contender, who brobably lives in that black leather jacket) but he never hooked on for enough time to live a truly personal imprint. He can happily chug along in a required style without causing much trouble. Bonus: He makes Dave Coverdale drool the most, women not counted:)

Tracy G is the big (literally) weird one, getting in on the Iommi afterwinds. He got BIG BIG balls for pulling of his agro improvisation (since I am infatuated with Zappa, I'm more and more appriciating these kind of efforts) but it meshed badly with the pre '93 material most of the time and during the 96 tour, the chemistry went off for vacation

Secret weapon: Rowan Robertson. That kid had a bit of Blackmore in him. Which means magic, perfect compatibility with Dio, and blowing my mind off. How could he choose Oni Logan? HOW?

Last edited by Diolover91 on April 7th 2010, 10:46; edited 1 time in total
Diolover91
Diolover91

Male Posts : 16

Back to top Go down

Most preferred axeman? Empty Re: Most preferred axeman?

Post  0gr0 April 5th 2010, 11:19

Puff... I don't speak english well... this is gonna be hard xD

Well I know Vivian, Craig and Doug. In my opinion they have a similar style, Vivian creted spectacular solos and did amazing improvisations; And then Craig Goldy (Prodigy guitarrist when he was younger) he plays very good, and I think he wants to preserve Vivian's style but with variations. And the last Doug Aldrich, His style is very similar, it sounds like a mix of Goldy and Campbell. The 3 are really virtous, I don't know what I prefere... I have to think it a lot xD
0gr0
0gr0

Male Posts : 52

Back to top Go down

Post  DioGirl April 7th 2010, 10:05

Nice thread you brothers came up with! Very Happy Very Happy I don't have a favorite but I'll watch. :-)
DioGirl
DioGirl
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Female Posts : 49

Back to top Go down

Most preferred axeman? Empty Preferred Axe

Post  Timetodepop April 9th 2010, 22:30

I think Tracy G was unappreciated due to his raw and undisciplined style...It simply takes several listens to to hear all the things he was contributing...Dios Inferno/Last in Live will make you begin to appreciate his blazing speed and improvisation....Nobody did Mistreated/Catch The Rainbow any better..Not even Blackmore.

But Craig Goldy gets my nod...for his dedication...for stepping up into difficult shoes in 1986..and again after Aldrich left for greener pastures...His mastery of Rainbow classics...His duplication of the Campbell anthems....Magica...and Master of the Moon stand as testimonials to these facts....
Dios best Axe man is and always will be Craig Goldy.

Depop

Timetodepop
New to DIO
New to DIO

Back to top Go down

Most preferred axeman? Empty Tracing G

Post  Diolover91 April 10th 2010, 04:22

Splendid first post my friend!

On the subject of Tracy: I don't think he is undisciplined (I would say exploratory), he plays under control (I just listened to Sofia '98), he is faithful to the originals but with his personal wrinkles thrown in. (Underrated tour, that was: Jeff Pilson on bass, a less pompous Scott Warren, Simon Wright sporting a funky pony tail and Dio simply killed in his pissed off era) Interesting subplots with Tracy: The what if double guitar on Magica(and there was the Rock Feinstein and Warren DiMartini(!) rumors) and my recent personal what if: Dio stumbling into Blackmore-Malmsteen buff Joe Stump, a great composer, a technical virtuoso, and, Dio fan!

On Craig: It's easy to forgot how big Viv was and Goldy did a splendid job with his material. Dream Evil should have been bigger, safe to say that it was the last truly classic-mode Dio album. As for Aldritch bolting to greener pastures, I've always thought that it was because Craig came back. If anyone have more info, illuminate me:)

Last edited by Diolover91 on April 12th 2010, 08:40; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Diolover91
Diolover91

Male Posts : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  Diopriest April 25th 2010, 11:26

I will say my favorite is Rowan Robertson I just love Lock Up The Wolves and his playing. I Do love the others as well. Tracy G was ok in my opinion but unlike Ronnie's other players I don't think Tracy was a virtuoso. He is a good guitar player without a doubt. However I don't think he is a great player. People may disagree but that is my opinion.
Diopriest
Diopriest

Male Posts : 1

https://www.youtube.com/user/Diopriest2?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Post  robakin June 6th 2010, 12:28

Viv is up there for me and Craig Goldy. Although slightly off topic BLACKMORE !
robakin
robakin
New to DIO
New to DIO

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum